Tuesday, January 20, 2009

But Loyal to whom?

The old saying 'It never rains, but it pours' could so well apply to Hale's Moon. The fact that it really does never rain, even with the increased humidity after the rock falls and the reform, doesn't make it less appropriate. In the old saying of Earth that Was, it meant things didn't just happen a little bit. If they happened at all, it was probably going to be more than you wanted.

This was a good case of that. It'd been a while since the last raid, and I was starting to wonder when the next boot would drop. Sadly, I didn't have to wait long for that boot. The renegades from 4th Platoon, D Company, 1st Marine Raiders, decided to make their presence known once again.

Loyalists, they called themselves. Only, loyal to what?

Only wish I hadn't been down in the Spares Graveyard under the hangar when it happened. Digging for navtrak spares, to hook our old rig with the new amps the Colonel had donated, wasn't where I needed to be at that point in time.

In the past, their attacks seemed more or less aimed at causing chaos and terrorizing the townsfolk. This time was different. Hearing folk talk, and watching the security feeds (bastid's shot out two of the cameras), it seemed they were actually attacking with a purpose. They'd draw off the townsfolk from one area, then one or two guys from their unit would dash in, steal stuff, then bolt back into the desert. When one of them dropped, the others would try and draw fire so they could evac their own.

Completely different tactics than they'd used in the past. They were trying to cause chaos not just casualties. And out of the chaos, they were stealing our shit.

By the time I extricated myself from the parts bins, the shooting was over and 4D had made their escape back into the desert. Both sides had taken some casualties, but the worst on our side seemed to be the burst Imrhien took across her front. She insisted she was ok, but didn't argue too much when I sat her down and pulled the only round I could reach out of her ribs. Td, much as I still have some reservations about him, took Immi down to the Infirmary so Lily and Ash could finish what I started.

I think the hardest thing for me, personally, besides seeing the town shot up again, was that I couldn't tend both Sabrina and Imrhien at the same time. Fortunately, 'Brina hadn't taken much more than a graze. He pride was hurt more than her body, but that was something I could help with. Unfortunately, when we went to check on Immi a little while later, it seemed she'd taken some pretty serious hits to her pride too.

Deep down, I think I know what it was. Just not my place to say. Certainly not with folk like Td and General around. I had to resist the urge to the guys out and tell her it was all going to be ok. Getting shot, hate it or not, didn't make her weak. But all I could do was offer my ear if she wanted to talk, and watch as she bolted for her ride.

Hope 'Brina's up to a lot of cuddles.

No comments:

Post a Comment