Thursday, March 26, 2009

It almost makes me believe in miracles

I don't believe in miracles. While I still follow some of the religious traditions I was raised with, mostly a mix of Buddhist and Shinto with a touch of Pastafarian, I am not a religious woman. I don't believe in miracles. Sheppard might argue the point with me, but I don't follow the Sheppard's faith either.

If I said I really understood what'd happened I'd be lieing. All I knew was that Lily was back. In substance at least. Not sure what's up with her mind though, and her body's reverted to synthetic near as I can tell. But she's back. Call it science. Call it a miracle. What mattered was my little sister was out of the stasis tank and moving under her own power.

I'm still not sure just how I knew to go down to that chamber in the mines Krenshar'd stashed Lily in. Just knew something was happening and I had to be there for it. Krenshar was there already with little Aurora, Lily in the tank, and that swirling ball of light that was supposed to be some kind of projection of Blue.

Blue wanted me to explain to the others there, General, Krenshar, and, later, Reese, what was going on and I did, as best I could. As best I understood it myself. Mindo wanted to play god and, to that end, he'd created Lily, Blue, and later, indirectly, Aurora. Blue, becoming fully sentient, had his own agenda and the advantage of being a good deal smarter than Mindo. That in itself was frightening, since Mindo was brilliant. Twisted to be sure, but brilliant nonetheless.

Blue and Aurora had grown beyond Mindo's plans or ability to control and now Lily's restoration was in their hands. Blue needed Aurora to go on, and that meant the necklace. Only, whether he realized it or not, Blue wouldn't be in control. Aurora was the stronger personality and would ultimately absorb the AI's intellect into herself.

I did what I had to do.

I let them merge.

And now? Now I didn't know what to think. Lily was back, but not her self. Aurora was carrying Blue around inside her somehow. Mindo? Who the hell knew what was up with Mindo. At this point I didn't know whether he was alive or dead and most of me didn't care. If he was dead, I wouldn't have to end him myself. Alive? Well, if he was we'd deal with that in time too.

Just too much going on. I left the Service because I could no longer stand my part in their greater scheme of things. And here, now, it seemed I was caught up in things far, far, bigger in scope than what I was involved with before.

I'd come to the Rim to escape my past. It was a chance to put my karma back into balance. Not that I actually believed the 'Verse kept track, but it was a reason to hang onto at least. And here, now, I had to think I'd been thrown into this position to balance out some of the wrong. To make everything balance again.

At least I wasn't having to face it all alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment