Friday, March 20, 2009

Her name is Aurora

I wasn't there to see my niece come into the world.

I wasn't there to see my little sister die in childbirth.

I've seen a lot of people die over the years and I've been the cause of more than my share of those deaths. But most of the time, it's just a passing. I have mourned every one of those I've seen die, including the ones who died by my hand, but the mourning was out of respect for a life ended, not because I felt a deep personal loss.

This was different.

It happened so quickly, and they said there was no time to track me down. But still, I should have been there. Even though there's nothing I could have done to save her, I should have been there. She needed to know she was loved when she left the world. I know Gallagher was there so she wasn't alone. Someone who loved her was there. But I should have been there.

When Gallagher introduced me to my niece later in the day she'd already grown to a toddler. Whatever freakishly rapid growth metabolism that led to a three day pregnancy hadn't slowed any. In fact, if my back of my hand calculations were right, it had accelerated by an order of magnitude.

Aurora is already talking. Searching for something. She is lovely, but not a normal Human child. No child could have the knowledge or intellect she has. No toddler would call me Mei Mei.

Mindo will come for her I'm sure. In his way, so will Blue. I will be ready. I'm not afraid of little Aurora, but I may be the only one on our little slice of heaven who has even the slightest idea of what she represents and my understanding is tenuous at best. I want to be right. I want Blue to be telling the truth. I want a future for Humanity, the machines, and little Aurora.

Time, as it is said, will tell.

But what will it tell us?

No comments:

Post a Comment