Friday, February 6, 2009

Home is where you wear your hat.

We boosted out of Blackburn after Sabrina and Imrhien finished their sets at Firefly's, full burn back to Hale's to take care of some last minute instructions. Just a brief break before pointing Wave Equation's nose for Ariel and dialing the drives up to maximum cruise. It was nice to be back at Firefly's again. I'd missed the comradier during the brief difficulties and was glad that things were back the way they belonged.

The flight to Ariel was uneventful: where "uneventful" is defined as nothing went wrong with the boat or her flight path and we didn't have to deal with any Alliance patrols on the way. While we were in a bit of a hurry, I doubt either of us would have complained if the flight had lasted two or three more days.

I would have loved two or three more days alone with her. Anywhere.

A moment of bliss
I have touched the face of god
Lost in your embrace

I plotted our approach to the Orbital so 'Brina could get a good look at Ariel, the expanse of the station itself, and Children of Earth under construction in the cradles co-orbital a dozen or so kilometers from the station. I could see the look of quiet awe in her eyes. Stations like the KHI Shipyard simply don't exist out on the Rim, and I could see the Mechanic behind her eyes understanding how the massive structure had gone together.

We spent a few hours on the station, giving 'Brina the quick tour to a series of 'ooh's' and 'ahh's'. I'd been half raised on this platform, splitting time between the family compound on the surface and the living spaces in orbit. I was still a little amazed at the place, even counting the fact I'd crawled through more of the structure than the maintenance guys had.

Half way across the station from the landing bays were the restricted Research and Development labs: Uncle Elsoph's territory. technically, by bringing Sabrina into the restricted R&D area I was breaking all sorts of protocols. Half the projects that came out of this part of the platform were classified Secret or higher, with some of them so highly classified that it took Grandfather's word to get even me past the door. Elsoph's lab, technically, was one of the most restricted parts of the platform but he had a standing rule about family. They don't come in, he don't work his magic.

Magic. That was my uncle.

To no great surprise, he and Sabrina hit it off amazingly. They were kindred spirits. Technomancers. They could both work miracles with machines that most people could barely understand, let alone replicate. Within minutes their conversation had gone well past my understanding, so I took advantage of the 'Gnomes at play' to make sure everything would be loaded aboard Wave Equation for the trip home.

Several hours had passed before I could drag my fiance from my dear uncle for the trip down to Ariel. There were shuttles back and forth to the surface several times a day, but the family's Executive transport was waiting for us on the pad and dropped us off at the small private field outside the capital the family favored. Being used to the transportation we had out on the Rim, I could only imagine how Sabrina was feeling about being carted around in luxury transports and limos. I didn't care about her background. I loved her with all my heart and my family wouldn't stand on class distinctions, but this first encounter with the world I was born to must have been a little overwhelming. I don't think her hand left mine the entire trip.

Meeting my parents, fortunately, went well. Father's reaction was about what I expected. He loved me, without a doubt, but he'd always been averse to showing emotion. Ultimately, also, I knew he'd never been very comfortable with my choice in lovers. He knew my tastes swung both ways, but always hoped I'd swing toward the side that would give him a grandchild or two. Mother, on the other hand, didn't care in the least who I loved as long as we treated each other well. For the first time since the war, since losing Caitlin, Mother's look didn't have that sympathetic hint of pain seeing me brought to her features. Father too, though he kept it well hidden.

Yes, Mother. She's the one.

I was so proud of how Sabrina formally asked my folks for permission and approval for our wedding. Formal. Simple. Unscripted, and from the heart. I knew in my gut what they would say. Even if they hadn't approved of Sabrina, they'd have granted permission. But that didn't make Mother's answer any less gratifying.

"If everything she's said about you in her waves is true, then I have no doubt you will be happy together. Isn't that right, dear?" to which Father nodded stoic agreement.

We didn't get to talk to them much longer before the wave came in that Grandfather was ready to see us at The Tower. The was the part I'd been anticipating, and half dreading, the whole trip. Grandfather's blessing was the only one I cared about. Where Mother and Father were my parents, Grandfather was the Elder. His word was law. Not by force, or threat, or fear. No. Grandfather carried such respect that people, family and employees alike, followed him willingly. I didn't just follow Grandfather's word as law: I adored him, and if he disapproved of Sabrina it would be a blow of epic proportions.

The Tower was still one of the tallest buildings in the capital. Though over 80 years old now, it was still a gleaming edifice that my Great Grandfather had constructed as a showpiece to compliment the expanding Orbital. Earth that Was had Taipei 101. Ariel had The Tower. And dearest Sabrina was just lost for words as we stepped out onto the rooftop pad. The view was spectacular. We could see probably two hundred kilometers across the capital city and out into the surrounding cities and farms beyond.

'Brina explained a little of her family's background. How her father had to leave the Core on the run from a bad Blue Sun contract. How they'd had to move around a lot. How she'd dreamed of coming back to visit the Core. And now here she was. Standing atop the tallest building in Ariel's capital city, ready to walk into the corner office of the man who ran one of the largest shipbuilding concerns in the 'Verse.

I led her past Security into the Executive suites. Grandfather's Realm. To Misses Toyoda, the woman who'd been Grandfather's personal secretary for over 50 years. The woman I'd been raised to treat with the same level of respect I showed Grandfather himself. The woman who was still allowed to kick my ass if she thought I was out of line. After a moment's brief pleasantries, she showed us into Grandfather's corner office.

For KHI's ultimate seat of power, Grandfather's office was an affair of simple elegance. Traditional without being ostentatious. While Grandfather himself, a compact, spry man in his early 80's, had the quite presence that didn't need an ostentatious office to reinforce his position.

I greeted Grandfather with a deep, traditional, bow. I know Sabrina had never seen this side of me. There was only one person in the 'Verse who warranted such deep respect in my eyes. He returned my bow, and Sabrina's, starting the conversation simply.

"This is the girl you would marry, granddaughter?"

"Yes, Grandfather" I replied softly.

"
Do you love her as much as she loves you?" he asked Sabrina.

"More, Sir." She replied, "
Although she would argue the point."

Grandfather led us to the corner of his office he reserved for meeting with family or business associates he genuinely cared for. Low cushions around a traditional low table on a tatami mat. On the wall, across from the table, among the other art, four Haiku written on parchment in a flowing calligraphic script. They'd been on the wall since I'd written them for him 20 years before. Entries in a school contest I hadn't won. It didn't matter to him then that I hadn't won the contest. He'd placed them in his office just the same, and seeing them there now was deeply reassuring.

"
I am pleased. I wondered when someone would capture little Mei Mei's heart. I see it even now. She tries to hide her feelings in front of me still, but I see how she feels. " Grandfather said with a kind smile.

"I love her dearly, Sir. I want nothing more than to spend my life with her, standing by her, and, if need be, protecting her with my life. Not that she seems to need it, though. We have come to seek the blessings of her respected elders and family in accordance to her culture and history and respect for family and tradition, and so we present ourselves to you graciously and humbly."

Grandfather had been a master at concealing his feelings long before he became a senior Executive. To the little girl he'd trained and spoiled her whole life though, his mask was transparent. I could see the truth in his eyes. What I saw there now, respect for Sabrina's formal request, unreserved acceptance, and a gentle affection, filled me with such deep pride and love it was all I could do to keep my own expression under control. I wanted to cry. To laugh with joy. To show the whole 'Verse how I felt. But somehow I managed to keep it to a soft blush and a warm smile.

"We are an old family, Sabrina. Bound by history and tradition. Your effort and respect for those traditions is welcome. You have my blessing and the blessing of this clan." Grandfather said with a kind smile, before going on in a soft conspiratorial voice "Truth be known, all that matters to me is that you have made Mei Mei happy."

"Thank you, Sir. We appreciate this and thank you." Sabrina said quietly.

"You are welcome, Sabrina."

I looked up at him, unable to keep the waves of emotion from crossing my face, voice very soft. "Grandfather?"

"Mei Mei, you always held to our traditions. Learning the arts and our history. You have always taken it so seriously, and I have always been proud of you. But tradition means nothing if it stands in the way of your heart. You have always had my blessing."

For me, the rest of the evening was a blur. Talking with Grandfather, formal dinner with family and some of our closest associates, the flight back to the platform and Wave Equation. All a blur. Lost in the knowledge that my family accepted my choice. They had given their blessing. He had given his blessing. Sabrina and I could be married with the full support of the Kawanishi clan.

This is what joy feels like.

No comments:

Post a Comment