Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Unexpected returns and other curiosities of reality

If I said I wasn't surprised to see Gallagher back in action on Dragon's Egg, I would be lieing.  I'd had a feed going to see what he was up to, but hadn't payed much attention it.  There was just too much and Nora hadn't flagged anything specific.  But he was back.  For better or worse.  Hopefully for the better, actually.

Gallagher and I had had our differences on Hale's Moon when he was Sheriff and I was Mayor.  Not unusual to have some friction in that sort of working relationship, but, ultimately, he'd done a decent job of it. At least the citizens liked him and were willing to be peacable under his watch, which was really all I'd been after.

Considering that we were about to lose the "protection" afforded by the hired mercenaries, Gallagher's return was actually well timed.  Whether he'd be willing to do it or not, and whether I could convince the rest of what passed for the Town Council to go for it, having him back as Sheriff might not be such a bad idea.  Whether or not I resumed the role of Mayor or not didn't matter.  In fact, it might even be better if I wasn't back in that role.

While there was something to be said for being Mayor, there were also a lot of other issues.  On Hale's Moon, I'd been defacto Governor, since the main settlement had been the only real concentration of people on the entire rock.  At least until the survivors from Destiny set up their little settlement.  But on Hale's, the folk owned their colony.  When Weyland Yutani abandoned the colony, the colonists tool position of the assets.  On Dragon's Egg, things weren't quite so cut and dried.  As time went on, we came to realize that Blue Sun wasn't just a major investor in the new colony, but had had a great deal to do with the original "alternative, long duration, terraforming" process.

Though never acknowledged as the original intent, Dragon's Egg had become largely a company world beholden to Blue Sun.  That might have panned out differently if KHI hadn't decided to relocate their facilities elsewhere, but it was what it was and there wasn't much I could do now to change it.

I didn't want to be the Mayor of a Company Town.  At least when it wasn't my company.

But that did still leave the issue of defense and the Law.  I'd be OK with someone else taking the reins as Mayor.  Things got too uncomfortable, I had my plot well away from anything important.  Far enough out to be left alone.  Barring that, I could go back into the black.  I'd be OK either way.  So someone else could get shot at instead of me, and maybe Gallagher would pick up his tin star again.

That just left defense, and we had a solution to that.  The Militia on Hale's Moon had been quite effective in its day.  Was a thorn in the side of Loyalist Alliance, and more then a match for most Reaver boats that made the mistake of landing.  We still had enough folk from the old colony around that we'd have a core to build around.  That was something I could handle myself.  Gallagher wanted to help, I'd be right happy to let him, and I didn't foresee any issue with the Town Council.

Blue Sun might object, but chances were x0x0 would be right with the idea too.  Especially seeing how she'd helped supply the Militia back on Hale's.

It'd be something to set in motion.  At least once the issue with the cruiser was settled.

Funny thing about that though, was getting a wave from my Uncle Sobi, offering to try and negotiate a peaceable settlement.  Doubted they'd listen, but doubted he'd listen if I told him it's likely be a bad idea.  Wasn't sure if he was serious though, seeing how things were last time he had words with any of them.

Constantly in flux
Situation always changing
Life as it should be

No comments:

Post a Comment