Thursday, December 27, 2012

The fluctuating definitions of stress

The calendar period known as "the holidays" has never been a favorite for me.  Never mind the religious connotations, shared between several, but not all, common religions.  Never mind the "seasonal" aspects, which are entirely based on the northern hemisphere of Earth that Was.  For me, the holidays have always been a bit of a roller coaster, and not in the fun way.

I can think of so many family events over the holidays that this time of year has as many bad connotations as good.  It was this time of year that I met Sabrina, which led to some blissful times and a painful breakup.  

The holidays are times to spend with friends and family and, right now, I don't have contact with either.  'Brina's gone.  Simon's off on another Op.  The girls are . . . elusive.   Even Sobi's been hard to reach, shuttling around the Border and Rim systems trying, without much luck, to track down Lily.

And then there is the stress.

There was an old definition of stress that said it was: "The mind overriding the body's desire to choke the living shit out of some asshole who desperately needs it."

I felt that exact definition of stress when "Santa" showed up on Dragon's Egg as part of Blue Sun's holiday cheer festival.  Why, exactly, Niska was here was beyond me.  If only because I hadn't bothered to dig into his dealings especially deeply.  But the data was there.  Though it seemed he got the message over three years ago, the old sadist had resurfaced in our affairs on Dragon's Egg.

Since I wasn't the Mayor here, and KHI had no real financial interest in the colony any more, there was little I could do officially.  The exchange of a few snide comments was really all anyone saw of the brief encounter, for what it was worth.  But his presence, and even the hint he was meddling in my little girl's affairs, helped set a course.  It gave some actual purpose to "the holidays" for me.

In another time and place, I would have dealt with him personally.  But doing so would require explaining to other, powerful, forces exactly why I had deleted one of their assets.  Ultimately, for all his bravado, he was still just a sadistic petty crime lord who continued to draw breath because some powerful people in the Intel community found him "useful."  

It was the only reason I hadn't expended a Crowbar against his Skyplex.  While it would have been immensely satisfying to see the solid metal ingot smash through the structure so fast they wouldn't have had time to avoid it, I had other uses for that particular weapon.  Plus, I might have use for the Skyplex myself some day.

No.  I had better ways to deal with Mister Niska.

Reputation was paramount to him.  He'd worked long and hard to develop one.  I, on the other hand, had not.  While I had one, several, in fact, I didn't rely on my reputation to do my work for me.  Besides, the ones I was actually concerned about weren't common knowledge.  There was really nothing he could to do those.

I, on the other hand, had resources I could bring to bear to deal with the issue in a more subtle way.

Information is a powerful tool.  A powerful weapon.  In the right hands, it could be used for good.  In the wrong hands, it could be used for evil.  In my hands?

Bringing tools to bear
A fragile reputation
So easily lost

I told you before, Mister Niska.  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons. For they are powerful creatures, subtle and quick to anger. And you are small and crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

You should have listened.

No comments:

Post a Comment