Thursday, August 5, 2010

No room for Paladins

It's been said that, at some levels, Intel is a small and incestuous community. In some ways, and in some specific circles, it actually is. But overall, the reality is much different. Intel covers such a broad range of skills, in such a broad range of areas, that the community is considerably larger than most people even realize. Even most spooks don't realize how large it is. There are so many different organizations, doing so many different things, there simply aren't enough trained operatives in the 'Verse to do it all. At least not officially.

And therein lies the rub. With the Alliance already hiring contract firms to perform security duties on outlying worlds, is it really any wonder that they fill the gaps in Intel coverage with contractors? Sometimes, in cases where very specialized skills are needed, Contractors are the only viable option. Not to mention their versatility and usefulness in cases where you simply don't want to risk a valuable asset.

M&J Communications was one such specialized asset. Two, really, since they were a two man operation. I'd used their services before years ago, and they were very, very, good at what they did. Two of the best, in fact. There were rumors that the Intelligence Ministry in charge of Signals Intelligence let them run free because they wanted to see what these guys would come up with next. Though, on a personal level, I couldn't help but think they wouldn't have been out of place in some sort of comic 'Buddy show' on the Cortex. Tuesday nights. At 2330. After the interview and faux news shows were over.

Sitting in the back corner of Fook Yoo's near the Starstruck's nook, I had to suppress a bit of amusement at their reactions. While they both traveled armed and were half way decent shots, the chances of them trying to shoot their way out of this situation were slim to none. They were busted. They knew they were busted. They knew they were, more or less, at my mercy both professionally and literally in this situation. But it didn't seem to stop them from keeping a sense of humor about it.

"Chyfrgolla, mae hi dal yn boeth!"

"Mae hi, ond gallai hi ladd ein dau. Felly gadw'n oer."

Now, unlike Uncle Sobi, I was never really fluent in Welsh. But from their inflection it seemed a compliment, though one neither especially wanted to admit to.

"Welsh? I'm a bit rusty. But I'll remember for later." I said amusedly over my coffee at Starstrucks to a reaction of embarrassed admission. "Now, seriously. What brings you to our little slice of Heaven? I know you therefor, I have a fairly good idea already. But, for the record, I'd like to hear it from you."

They looked between each other for a few moments, probably trying to remember the cover story they'd concocted in case they got caught. At this point I wasn't even really interrogating them. I could, even if it wasn't my specialty. But I would learn more from just talking to these two than I would be playing interrogator. In fact, the more force I applied, figuratively or literally, the more likely they were to simply tell me what they thought I wanted to hear rather than the facts I was after.

After another few moments of nervous deliberation, Jeff spoke up. "They asked us to splice into the main trunk. Grab the relay from the colony's feed and Blue Sun's uplink. Standard encrypted piggyback relay. Nothing even really complicated. Just wanted us to be in and out and not get caught."

"And the contract, Jeffrey? Who sent you?"

The two techies looked at each other a moment, but Jeff didn't really hesitate before continuing. "Wish I could tell you. Really do. Contract came through one of our blind drops. Had all the instructions and background. Though they kinda left out the fact that you would be here. Usual pay scale. Had specifics on what communications they wanted. All we've got are the routing ID's and the comms codes they wanted us to use for the uplink."

I raised an eyebrow, starting to speak but Max interrupted.

"Buddha's our witness, Major. Simple relay splice. If we'd actually done our homework and seen this was your world, we'd have bailed on the contract."

Max was a pain in the ass sometimes, to be sure, but I knew them from precious work and it was almost certain they were telling the truth. Given our history, it was likely they were more afraid of what I would do to them for intruding in my space than they were of the anonymous employer.

"Very well. Though it leaves me with a bit of a conundrum. However, I do see a solution to our mutual problem. So, if you two would like to continue along the path to a long and healthy life, here's what we're going to do. . . "

Oh yes. A solution does seem quite vivid here . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment