Monday, August 30, 2010

Canine therapy

I remember reading somewhere that Humans and Dogs have been living together for longer than there has been definable civilization. That there have actually been selective pressures on us to understand and work with them, as well as the well known openly selective process we've employed to make Dogs into the myriad breeds they are. We've had forty thousand years of co-evolution. Is it any wonder they've been called Man's Best Friend since long, long, before we left Earth that Was for the worlds of 34 Tauri?

Growing up, we'd had dogs around the estate, but I'd never really considered myself much of a "dog person." Or a cat person, for that matter. I'd never really developed that keen companionship thing so many people felt with their pets. Not that I didn't want to be around animals, or that I had any inherent fear of them. They just weren't part of who I was. At least until much later in life.

When we'd "acquired" Haley from a Reaver boat, I hadn't expected her to become "My" dog. Technically, she was mine in legal responsibility only. She'd quickly been adopted as part town mascot and part 'Favorite of the Younguns' on Hale's. And why not? She was an adorable bundle of energy that the younguns, and some of the adults, would get into arguments about who was next in line to play with her. Some nights, they'd argue about who's homestead she was going to sleep in. But many nights, she slept with us aboard Wave Equation. Either curled up on her pillow or down at our feet. Unless 'Brina was away. In which case she'd flop down on the bed, lay her head on me somewhere she thought was comfortable, and proceed to snore half the night the way only a Beagle can.

I'd come to love her for it.

I still didn't know whether I considered myself a "Dog person" or not. But I had come to appreciate how a little bundle of energy and fur could have a positive influence on a person's life.

On one of 'Brina's trips back out here to visit from Ariel, she'd taken Haley back with her for a spell. She was loving the project she was on with my crazy uncle, but she was missing me as much as I was missing her. Haley, always happy to go anywhere there were treats and affection to be had, was more than happy to go with her. The younguns might grouse a little that we were taking their favorite koinu away, but it let me and 'Brina share a surrogate snuggle or two.

What I hadn't expected was the unannounced return of my dog. Hearing a wave from Cody about a Beagle taking over Milo's lounge, and being quite insistent that people play with her, could only mean one thing. 'Brina'd smuggled Haley back to Hale's Moon on the last transport and left it a surprise, knowing I would find out she was back in short order.

Didn't want to admit just how happy I was to have her back. I'd been missing 'Brina something fierce of late and with Lily and Anna both spending a spell off world, I'd been feeling very much alone. Great view from orbit. But a lonely one. Haley back on world meant I'd at least have some honest, unencumbered, affection. Some badly needed canine therapy.

That was, if I could get her away from the younguns.

No comments:

Post a Comment