Monday, June 14, 2010

Crossing vectors

"Persephone orbital approach, this is Wave Equation, Ariel registry, kilo four seven niner echo hotel, requesting an approach vector for aero-breaking and a short final into Eavesdown docks."

It was just a formality, really. I was already on the vector I wanted with no traffic crossing my path. At least as long as no one did anything stupid. But with the amount of traffic in orbit and the recent mood I figured it was better to announce myself rather than just slink in like I usually did.

"Wave Equation, Niner echo hotel. Persephone approach. Approach clearance granted. Vector details incoming. Two minutes. Maintain your current vector pending the update and contact Eavesdown Approach on four three five point two."

"Copy that, Persephone Approach. Continue pending update and contact Eavesdown on four three five point two. Good day. Wave Equation clear."

Doing traffic control on the Rim, you almost forgot just how complex it could be. In the Black between worlds it was not an issue, but when you are approaching a heavily populated world, with thousands of spacecraft coming and going, there was an actual need for layered controls. Orbital approach, handing off to reentry approach, handing off to downport approach for wherever you were heading.

It was that way on any highly populated world. It had to be that way. Though there were still some good sized cracks to slip through if you were so inclined. This time, I'd chosen to stay out of the cracks.

Finding a berth at Eavesdown was trivial. They were equipped to handle everything from auxiliary skiffs to three hundred meter long bulk haulers, so finding space for something the size of a Matagi wasn't an issue. Which left me to just lock up, pay for the transient berth, toss some coin to a couple of the local port rats to look after her while I was gone, and make sure the security system's anti-personnel mode was "Deter:Stun" rather than the usual setting of "Deter:Incinerate" I used on the Rim.

The only down side to docking at the edge of the Docks sector was getting a ride into the center of the sprawling area. I could have carried a small skimmer or something aboard Wave Equation, but I'd never really seen the need. At least until now, when the choices for getting across toward the center of the Docks was walking, hailing a rickshaw, or riding a jitney.

Walking. Definitely walking. It'd give me a chance to encounter some of the local port life and plenty of time to kick off a wave.

"Duncan? This is Seana. I'm on Persephone for a couple days, starting out in Eavesdown. Be nice to see you if you're around. Get back to me, ok?"

That'd do it. I hoped. If not, there were other things I was here to handle. But catching some time with Duncan would make the entire trip a good deal more pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment