Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Family matters

I'm not usually in the habit of worrying about people. Especially people who I know are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves. Didn't mean I didn't care about people. It just meant I didn't worry about them. Except, with Lily being gone as long as she has, I was actually starting to worry.

Over the last couple days I'd spoken with Cody, who'd had to promise not to go looking for her, and Kari, who was bound by no such promise. Even General was making noises about her being gone longer than usual. Keri'd gone so far as to start trying to track her down herself, but the trail'd gone cold after MacLaren's Drift. Cody said x0x0 might know, but Kari couldn't find x0.

That was ok. I could find x0.

x0x0 was the obvious starting point for tracking Lily down. There were a number of worlds out here on the Rim she might go to for her hunt, starting with Blackburne. Never mind the Downport had been more or less burned to the ground by the Reavers, and even the wastelanders had mostly evacuated the world. Blackburne wasn't actually dead. It was just mostly abandoned. Even more so since the Reavers themselves had gone back into the Black. Given her history with Blackburne, it was high on my list of potential targets.

Problem would be actually finding her. I'd gone looking for my little sister more than once in the past and even with Wave Equation's sensor platform, and our little recee drone, and the fact that Lily's signature was about as unique as it got, it'd been hard to pinpoint her location. I'd want to have a good idea she was on any particular world before I started trying to locate her on the surface.

Which meant my first step would be getting a lead on where she'd gone to hunt. Narrowing down the potential target worlds was relatively easy. Lily had her favorites and there were practical limitations as to where she could, and would, go. That made my life somewhat easier. Though it was still only a probabilistic change. The key would be seeing if she'd tuned up anywhere, and until I got hold of x0, I'd have to rely on other methods.

There were half a dozen people I could contact easily who might know something of her whereabouts, and getting waves off to them would be a start. There was also the resources I could tap through Intel section.

With the exception of military installations and some of the larger colonies, records keeping out on the Rim was sloppy at best and openly falsified at worst. Still, Lily wasn't actively trying to hide her trail. Much. There was a fair chance that I could pull a hit from travel records, assuming she'd actually been somewhere they kept travel records.

It was worth a shot. Considering I could list Lily as a personal asset, should the question arise, it was within my purview to request a data dive. If I got a hit, great. If not, I'd have to concentrate on other lines of inquiry. While fugitive recovery wasn't my forte, it wasn't entirely outside my skill set and I had a personal interest in getting her home safe.

I know you're hunting little sister.

But I still want you home safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment