Monday, January 11, 2010

Closing the gap

Cody is closing with Lily, but isn't there yet. Not quiet. Nor, unfortunately, am I. And I'm torn. Given Cody's emotional attachment to Lily, part of me very strongly believes that it's his place to go in and fetch her. Oddly enough, I can see the emotional need to be the one who's there at the right place at the right time to recover the person you care about. She's my little girl, but to Cody she's something else.

As I'd found from x0, Lily'd been manipulated into this hunt. At this point, she probably didn't know she was the target. Once she did know though, the situation would change. Like the Kender from that old Earth that Was story book, Lily didn't know fear. When she understood the situation, she would start eliminating the pursuit. Anyone hunting her was in more danger of dieing than she was.

But someone might still get lucky.

I had to hope Cody would be able to get her out of the situation while I got into position to back him up. Whether he knew it or not, he would have backup. It was the kind of operation that was well suited to my skill set. Special Asset: Tactical. Or Technical, depending on the mission profile. If I did everything right, Cody would never know he'd had a shadow while working to get Lily back. She might know I was there, but chances were slim he would.

Ultimately, I didn't care. All that mattered was getting Lily back. Once that was done, I could figure out how to deal with the Aurora situation. How do you fix something when you didn't really know how it was supposed to work in the first place?

I'd worry about that when the time came.

No comments:

Post a Comment