Thursday, December 29, 2011

Altered structures

Colonel Corriene Silvermane had been the commanding officer of the 1st Marine Raider's for several years, with a brief gap while she recovered from an assassination attempt while on Hale's Moon.  The Loyalist faction wasn't especially fond of an Officer that was not only good at her job, but generally opposed to abusing the colonies her unit was responsible for.  She'd done a lot to normalize relationships between Hale's Moon and the Alliance forces in the region.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, I guess, depending on your perspective, Officers get moved around.  No matter how good you are at what you do, or maybe because of it, you'll get moved to another position.  It was only a matter of time then before they reassigned Silvermane to another unit.  

I was actually happy for her, and for the professional relationship we'd developed.   They'd promoted her to Brigadier General a couple months back and, now, reassigned her to a Divisional position as the Assistant Divisional Commander for the Marine's 4th Frontier Division, which the 1st Marine Raiders was part of.  For her it was a full step up the food chain and, for me, I wasn't actually losing a resource.  It was just maneuvering into another position.

The disadvantage for me, and us as a colony, was we didn't know yet how the new CO would treat the colonies in their patrol area.  Silvermane would still have her influence from above, but she'd have her hands full and now had several other Brigade sized units to deal with in the Division.  If the new CO turned out to be an mudak they could do a lot of harm before word came down from above to back off.

While I had their resume on my desk, along with their background, it was no substitute for actually meeting them.  But when would that happen?  Would that even happen?  While I had official channels to work back up through, I wasn't going to reveal my Intel position to the new CO until I was sure it wouldn't compromise my own plans.  The liaison, Lionheart, could recommend they speak to me as a representative of the colony, but that wasn't an official position.  We had some makeshift law enforcement, but we had no established government.  Yet.

That was something else I'd have to keep my eyes on.  I knew folks feelings on my leadership were mixed.  The folks who'd liked anarchy and the presence of pirates and smugglers weren't so happy with me.  The folks who liked a modicum of safety and stability did.  The inevitable trade off between competing factions.  Thing was, I'd done what I thought was best for the colony then and I'd do the same now.  Should it come to that.  I'd make some noise about what I thought was best, but I wasn't the leader here.  Just a colonist with a vested interest in keeping things stable.  Seing how most folk here still gave the farmhouse a wide berth it wasn't much of an issue.  Bram, and his lackey, I mean "Deputy," weren't giving me any issues either so, for now, it was business as usual.

But for how long?


No comments:

Post a Comment