Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Lonesome Ninja

Haley snores.

That she snores is a mixed blessing. On the one hand, it means my sleep is often interrupted by the sound of a snoring Beagle. On the other, it means I am not entirely alone.

I'm not sure why I'm feeling the loneliness again, though I suspect it's emotional fallout from the absolute destruction of Hale's Moon and our impending deployment on Dragon's Egg. 'Brina's sent condolences from Ariel, but has been so wrapped up in their projects she hasn't been able to come visit. I still see Imrhien, but she spends much of her time with the former Blackburne refugees. I suspect they're trying to find a good way to rebuild their bar on the surface of Dragon's Egg. There's something to that thought I find mildly disturbing, but I can't put it into words.

Ultimately, it's not my problem any more. I'm not the Mayor of Hale's Moon. There is no Hale's Moon to be Mayor of any more, and I sincerely doubt Dragon's Egg will be looking for any sort of official leadership for a while. Lionheart's offered their services where needed, but the Alliance's Department of State isn't exactly beloved by Hale's former inhabitants.

The dynamic has changed. New folk looking to join the colony. Old folk choosing not to come along, preferring the rocks or some other colony world to breaking in a new one. And here, all I find myself caring about is my girls.

Lily, taken to the surface by Cody for . . . who the hell knew? I knew in my heart he was doing it because he thought it was for the best. Main reason he's still drawing breath. That, and x0x0 suggesting that maybe having her on the surface might be safer if Lily woke up and went feral. No one'd get et' but Cody in that case.

Not that I wanted him to get et'. But it was an effort of will to not take him behind the figurative woodshed for absconding with my adopted daughter.

AuroraBlue was a different matter.

With confirmation she was alive, there was something separate for me to focus on. I'd probably never figure her out, but that was beside the point. She was one of my girls. That meant I would do what I could do.

Tiny lost Dragon
An ongoing enigma
Mother will find you



No comments:

Post a Comment