Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Can't say we weren't warned

She warned us, Raids did. And I warned the townsfolk. Got the Militia to prep their favored demolition charges and the anti-roller ordnance, though, being miners, they were more comfortable as Sappers than Snipers. Loaded up my fifties and the long gun with HVAP rounds, since the squash heads would just be an annoyance to one of those fighting machines, and went about my business.

Wasn't in a mood to go hunting. If what Raids said was true, and I had no reason to doubt, the green hulled machine would show up here. Ravish they called her.

And show she did. Being wrapped up in a meeting with the IAV Saule Silencieuse's Captain, I wasn't in a position to add anything to the fight. They filled me in after the fact, though, being Mayor on paper only these days, there wasn't much I could do besides talk to the wounded in the Infirmary and relay my dōjō to the families of those that fell defending the colony.

You'd think that a seasoned Militia would be able to take on one lone machine. They'd drilled and trained and knew how to shoot and blow shit up. But they weren't really trained to fight an opponent like they were facing now. I wasn't even sure how I'd take her on one on one if it came to it. Give me a fighting suit, and we'd be evenly matched. But I didn't have a fighting suit. Best I had here was my synthetic sapphire weave and a Thermoptic oversuit. I could survive a fight, one on one, but win it?

Maybe. Only maybe.

The locals had managed to drive Ravish off, damaged but still functional. Which meant after a bit of down time, she'd come back repaired and probably gunning for whoever'd done the most damage to her last time around.

Next time, they'd have taken the warning more seriously. But it would still be rough. If Raids had a personal nemesis in her "sister" we'd have to think hard on a way to settle the score. I'd accepted Raids as one of us after she'd chosen to follow our Dao. Her sister here wasn't so flexible and I'd no qualms about ending her span.

Assuming we could.

Violence becomes you
Mechanical nemesis
We stand against you



No comments:

Post a Comment