Sunday, May 9, 2010

And then the Sheriff quit. . .

Was wir hier haben ist ein failyre zu kommunizieren. Isn't that how the old phrase goes? Something like that. Not like Gallagher and I haven't had our differences before, but I'd have thought the stress of one major case wouldn't have been enough to make him quit.

c'est la vie

Hale's Moon didn't have a Sheriff for a long time. Not until after Genni shot me and Imrhien took on the job. Unfortunately, the job seems to be right rough on the folk who take it. Gallagher's only the latest in surprisingly long line of LEO's who walked away from the position. Gallagher's the only Sheriff I've ever had difficulty working with and even that was never particularly great.

I'm no princess, but I'm not that hard to work with. Hell, if I was, the townsfolk would have asked me stop down a long time ago. But I admit, there's just some folk who shouldn't be stationed to the same bunker. Might have been a bit of that with Gallagher. He was a good investigator, but a bit temperamental for dealing with folk on what might be the worst day of their life.

Just left us back where we had been. Casting about for a new Sheriff during a period where we decidedly needed one. Cody'd actually not be bad for the role, once he got everything in his own house sorted out. With his mind focused on Lily and Anna, he'd never have the focus he'd need to be Sheriff full time. I'd ask General, but he's got his Captains to keep in line and his transports to keep flying. There were a few promising folk in the Militia, but they all had a life already.

Timing could have been worse, I suppose. Could have happened when I was off world and didn't have the cycles to pick up the slack. But with the investigation into the bodies half finished, even with a primary suspect, it meant more time on the ground than I wanted to spend right now.

Can just see the want ad now:

Wanted: Sheriff

Small mining colony seeks Law Enforcement professional to take on Sheriff's duties on a low population outer moon with law abiding citizens subject to Reaver attacks, random raids, Alliance Hardliner incursions, and unexpected attacks by automated combat robots. Experience preferred, but not required. Medical benefits and all the ammo you might need included.

Apply in person.

Yeah. That'll just bring the applications rolling in.

No comments:

Post a Comment