Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Peaks and Valleys: reduex

It's been a long, long, time since Hale's Moon's seen two major parties in the span of a week. First, Krenshar and Lily and Sabrina's 'birthday' parties Monday last, then the 'Friend's reception' Belize put on for me and Sabrina this last Saturday. More actual festivities in Fook Yoo's in a week than in any other week that folks here could remember.

Have to say they were both pretty spectacular parties. Very different themes betwixt them, but still right festive in all the best ways. Was nice to see people turning out to wish the birthday folks well at the first, and congratulating me and Sabrina at the second. Even saw General actually dancing in public, which was a pleasant surprise in it's own right.

Now, I'm still not a social animal. That hasn't really changed across the course of the week, but this party was part in my honor and I was enjoying myself. Dancing with Sabrina always took my mind away from the troubles of the day. But still, there was the twinge of a few people conspicuous by their absense.

I knew, as well as anyone, that stress, all different sorts of stress, could change how people looked at the world. We all faced it in our own way. Some turn in, others out. Same goes with friends. Some situations draw them together, others drive them apart. That in mind, I can't really blame some of the folks who didn't show up.

It didn't mean I didn't miss them being there.

But like most things 'round here it seems, we can't have us a solidly festive mood that lasts for more than one day. Worse, it seems that there's a roughly even chance that things will go all pear shaped about the time I get called away from town to deal with something in orbit or half way across the surface.

Once it started, I knew there was no way the new Independence Movement would stay completely away from Hale's. The colonists were of mixed feelings on the Alliance, but most of them seemed happy with the deal I'd worked out and weren't clamoring to declare us free and clear from any government but our own. We more or less were clear of any government but our own. Not because we fought for it, but because we negotiated for it and held up our end of the bargain.

Never mind there was still smuggling and arms deals, and Buddha knew what else, going on behind the scenes. On the surface were all legitimate mining operations, light maintenance, and cargo transfer. As long as we could hold that image, the local Alliance sector government would ignore us.

But maintaining our image also meant not looking like we were taking sides in the new Indie war that was trying to brew, and by not antagonizing the regular Alliance troops when they showed up for whatever reason. Be it dropping by on a routine patrol, bagging fuel, pursuing some kind of fugitive, or responding to what they might have thought was a colony in need of assistance.

I can't blame the 12th for chasing a Loyalist skiff into our space. I can, and do, wonder what the hell they're doing out this far from Shadow doing a patrol, but that's neither here nor there. They had a Loyalist in their sights and they splashed them where they caught them - here. Not just on Hale's, but spitting distance from the colony proper.

Shiny.

Unfortunately, I managed to miss all the excitement. Figures. Worse, best as I can tell, Lieutenant Xeltentat, the Alliance Officer Lily'd become friends with, had shown up and somehow tangled with Gallagher.

Not much of a surprise there. Gallagher had more against the Alliance than most folk on Hale's, so it was no wonder he'd have harsh words for one of their officers. Didn't mean I had to like it. Fact was, I didn't. Not one whit.

I'd worked my ass off behind the scenes to work out a peacable deal with Alliance Sector Command. I didn't need the 12th Air Cav, even doing something to our benefit, swiviling an Alliance sensor array our way. Worse, I didn't need our Sheriff, who's got the town's voice whether he knows it or not, riling the feathers of an Alliance officer who's been right civil with us.

Things would have been different if I'd been there, of course. I still would have have sent the 12th home, topped off from our tanks in thanks for splashing a Loyalist darkening our skies, but I probably wouldn't have Gallagher's resignation sitting on my desk.

Lovely.

The gorram Hale's Moon Law Enforcement Curse strikes again.

Just have to decide whether or not to accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment